On the way to McCall's birthday minutes before a huge thunderstorm I found an abandoned new born Sand Hill Crane. I was torn between leaving him on the off chance his mommy and Daddy would come back for him or leaving him on the sidewalk. I opted to bring him inside until the horrible storm past and then go try and find his family. After a few hours of rain I looked everywhere and was not successful in finding them. i truly felt like he was the character out of the Dr.Seuss book Where's my Mommy? The Lausiers and I tried to find a local Bird rescue shelter but no one was open on Memorial Day weekend. I found the ingredients on the Internet and made baby bird food.. a little ground beef, an egg yolk,sand,dog food all mushed together in a Lil milk and supposedly this is all it takes. Well if you have ever tried to feed a newborn bird it is much more difficult then it looks. There beaks feel like a weak fingernail, after trying to feed him with tweezers,a dropper and my finger i finally cam up with using wooden chopsticks since the simulate his mommy's beak. He ate SO much and every hour. I felt like I was home with a new born nursing baby. Flynn thought he was so cute when he wobbled on his long legs he started calling him "Leggy" which evolved into Eddie. After 2 sleepless night we finally found a rescue mission who was willing to give little Eddie everything he needed in Christmas Florida! I wonder if Lil' Eddie will remember our special time together, I know we sure will.
No comments:
Post a Comment